MORELLINO DI SCANSANO
Morellino di Scansano is made in the hilly area near the village of Scansano, in the Maremma. The Maremma has become famous for its “Super-Tuscan” wines, but it comes as a surprise to many that this warm coastal part of southern Tuscany has a very ancient (if somewhat obscure) tradition of winemaking.
Morellino is the local name for the Sangiovese grape varietal. Many people think that the name Morellino comes from “Morello” (brown). The name may also come from the Morello cherry, an almost inky red cherry with great tartness and acidity.
The wine, which was granted DOC status in 1978, and upgraded to DOCG status from the2007 vintage, is made from at least 85% Sangiovese. The remaining 0–15% can be any local red grapes, most commonly Syrah.
The fact that Morellino is often blended with Syrah and comes from the warm southern part of Tuscany leads to a distinct, richly textured wine with excellent weight.
LINK TO OUR MORELLINO DI SCANSANO:POGGIO MORINO: Morellino di Scansano